Dr. Ming Ye
Ph.D., University of Arizona
Department of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Science (EOAS)
Office: 303 Carraway Building
Department of Scientific Computing (SC)
Office: 489 Dirac Science Library
Phone: (850) 644-4587
Fax: (850) 644-0098
Last update: 11/8/2017
- Numerical simulation of flow and solute transport in saturated
and unsaturated porous and fractured media
- Uncertainty assessment of hydrologic parameters, conceptual
models, and scenarios
- Risk analysis and decision-making under uncertainty
- Geostatistical methods for site characterization and contaminant remediation
- Stochastic methods in groundwater hydrology
- High performance computing using state-of-the-art algorithms and tools
News and Annoucements
- November 8, 2017: Hongzhuan defended his master thesis entitled "Estimation of Nitrogen Load from Septic Systems to Surface Waterbodies in Indian River County, FL." Congratulations, Hongzhuan! Defense Picture
- November 3, 2017: The 1st FSU Karst Symposium was held in the Department of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Science. The symposium hosted 15 invited oral presentations, and was attended by more than 50 scientists. Karst Symposium Flyer
- August 7, 2017: Professor Ye transferred from the Department of Scientific Computing to the Department of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Science.
- July 14, 2017: Roger Pacheco Castro defended his dissertation. He is now a post-doc at the Mexico Autonomous University. Congratulations, Roger!
- June 5, 2017: Professor Ye was invited to give a seminar at the Texas Bureau of Economic Geology.
- June 4, 2017: Professor Ye was invited by Professor Mary Wheeler to visit the Institute for Computational Engineering and Science at the University of Texas, Austin.
- April 4, 2017: Bikash Saha defended his dissertation. Congratulations, Bikash!
- November 8, 2016: Krina Khazmutdinova defended her dissertation. She continued as a post-doc in the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Institute (GFDI) at FSU. Congratulations, Karina!
- October 14, 2016: Professor Ye was invited to give a seminar in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Kentucky.
- October 13, 2016: Professor Ye was invited to give a seminar at the Kentucky Geological Survey.
- January 13, 2016. Dr. Ye was promoted to Professor, effective August 2016.
- October 1, 2015. Dr. Ye was invited to give a talk to the Big Ben Branch of the American Public Works Associate (APWA) on nitrogen contaminant transport modeling.
- September 15, 2015. Four professors from the Ningxia University, China joined us for collaborative research on stochastic modeling.
- August 24, 2015. Two graduate students (Serena Pham and Hongzhuan Lei) joined our group.
- August 24 - November 23, 2015. Roger Pacheco Castro visited Hohai University, China to conduct Karst experiment together with Professor Jian Zhao and his student, Xiaohu Tao.
- August 10 - 23, 2015. Dr. Ye participated the Sino-German Summer School of the Third-Pole Environment organized by the China Academy of Science.
- July 9, 2015. Dr. Ye was invited to give a talk at the St. Johns River Water Management District on nitrogen contaminant transport modeling.
- July 8, 2015. Ben McLaughlin defended his dissertation. He is now working as a scientist at the Naval Support Activity - Panama City.
- July 7, 2015. Professor BooHyun Nam of the Central Florida University visited our sikhole lab for conducting collaborative research on sinkhole study.
- June 8 - July 16, 2015. Two high school students (Alex Howard and Deirdre Edward) from the Florida Young Scholar Program worked with us on data analysis and sinkhole experiments.
- May 24, 2015: Dr. Ye was interviewed by Russian Today (RT) International to discuss origins of sinkholes in Russia. Watch the Youtube video. More information of Russian sinkholes.
- May 17, 2015: Our sinkhol experiment was included in the History Channel program: Engineering Disasters.
- April 8, 2015: Dr. Ye received the Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize from the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), "For pioneering contributions in uncertainty identification and quantification for groundwater flow and solute transport modeling in saturated and unsaturated porous and fractured media." The Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prizes are awarded to members of the American Society of Civil Engineers, in any grade, for notable achievements in research related to Civil Engineering. Preference is given to younger members (generally under 40 years of age) with notable accomplishments who can be expected to continue fruitful careers in research.
- February 18, 2015. Saeedeh Samani from the University of Tabriz, Iran, joined us as a visiting scho
lar. She worked on identification of model complexity of groundwater reactive transport modeling.
- November 5, 2014: Heng Dai defended his dissertation. He is now working as a post-doc at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
- July 28, 2014: Dr. Xuehang Song joined our group as a post-doc working on the DOE project on uncertainty quantification. Xuehang's Profile
- June 24, 2014: PBS/NOVA program filmed our laboratory experiment on sinkhole development and collapse.
- June 23, 2014: Dr. Mohmmad Sayemuzzaman joined our group as a post-doc working on the FDEP project on nitrogen transport modeling. Sayem's Profile
- March 29, 2014: A paper of data-worth analysis co-authored with Sholomo Neuman was listed as a Top 10 Cited Paper in 2012-2013 of the journal of Advances in Water Resources. Certificate.
- March 17, 2014: Dr. Ahmed Elshall joined our group as a post-doc working on the DOE project on uncertainty quantification for groundwater reactive transport modeling. Ahmed's Profile
- March 11, 2014: Dr. Ye gave a presentation at the Illinois Geological Survey on our research of developing a Bayesian framework for uncertainty quantification.
- March 10, 2014: Dr. Ye was appointed as an Associate Editor of Journal of Hydrology.
- March 7, 2014: Dr. Ye received the FSU 2014 Developing Scholar Award given to mid-career, associate professor level faculty to support their research programs.
- February 18, 2014: Dr. Yan Zhu joined our group as a post-doc working on the FDEP project on nitrate transport modeling. Yan's Profile
- February 17, 2014: Dr. Dangliang Wang joined our group as a visiting scholar working on experimental study of sinkhole development and collapse. Dangliang's Profile
- February 14, 2014: Dr. Ye gave a presentation in the School of Geosciences at the University of Sourth Florida on our research of quantification of model uncertainty for groundwater reactive transport modeling.
- February 12, 2014: Dr. Ye gave a presentation at the St. Lucie River and Estuay Basin Management Action Plan Technical Meeting to present our nitrogen load modeling conducted for the City of Port Lucie, City of Stuart, and Martin County.
- February 5, 2014: Dr. Ye was appointed as a member of the Uncertainty Analysis Technical Advisory Committee of the American Geophysical Union.
- January 20, 2014: Dr. Peigui Liu left our group and returned to the Hefei University of Science and Technology.
- December 9, 2013: Dr. Ye gave a presentation at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory on our research of developing a Bayesian framework for uncertainty quantification.
- December 9-13, 2013: Our group attended the 2013 Annual Meeting of the American Geophysical Union and gave six oral/poster presentations.
- November 30, 2013: Dr. Dongwei Gui left our group and returned to the Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography.
- October 1, 2013: Dr. Huaiwei Sun left our group and returned to the Huazhong University of Science and Technology as a lecture.
- September 29, 2013: Dr. Xiankui Zeng from the Nanjing University joined our group to conduct research on uncertainty quantification.
- Septemner 6, 2013: Xiaohu Tao from the Hohai University joined our group to conduct research on groundwater modeling in Karst media.
- August 20 - September 16, 2013: Professor Liangsheng Shi from Wuhan University, China, visited us to conduct collaborative research on nitrogen modeling.
- August 14, 2013: Roger Benito Pacheco Castro, a Fulbright Scholar from Mexico, joined our group for groundwater modeling in Karst media.
- July 6, 2013: Dr. Peigui Liu from the Hefei University of Science and Technology joined our group as a visiting scholar to conduct research on uncertainty quantification.
- May 13, 2013: Dr. Dongwei Gui from the Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography joined our group to work on uncertainty quantification.
- January 7, 2013: Dr. Ye was appointed as a member of the Groundwater Technical Advisory Committee of the American Geophysical Union.
- November 4-7, 2012: Our group attended the 2012 Annual Meeting of the Geological Society of America in Charlotte; Dr. Ye chaired a session on Groundwater Model Calibration and Uncertainty Analysis.
- September 14, 2012: Dan Lu's publication Analysis of Regression Confidence Intervals and Bayesian Credible Intervals for Uncertainty Quantification was selected as Editor's Highlight entitlted New insights into faster computation of uncertainties.
- September 11, 2012: Dr. Huaiwei Sun joined our group as a post-doc working on the FDEP project on nitrate transport modeling. Huaiwei's Profile
- May 15, 2012: Fernando Rios (former student, now at SUNY Buffalo) was awarded the Graduate Scholarship and Fellowship from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada to continue his research on nitrate transport modeling.
- May 8, 2012: Dr. Ye was selected, among 68 selectees over the country, for the Department of Energy Early Career Award. The award includes a five-year project with a budget of $760,000.
- April 28, 2012: Dr. Ye was elected as a Fellow of the Geological Society of America.
- March 29, 2012: Dan Lu defended her dissertation entitled "Assessment of Parametric and Model Uncertainty in Groundwater Modeling". Congratulations, Dan! Dan will work as a post-doc under joint supervision of
Dr. Ye and Dr. Gary Curtis at the U.S. Geological Survey.
- March 28, 2012: Dan Lu received the Student Travel Fellowship to the annual PI meeting of the Subsurface Biogeochemical Research Program of the Department of Energy.
- January 11, 2012: Dr. Xiaoqing Shi left our group and returned to Nanjing University, China.
- December 5-9, 2011: Our group gave five presentations at the 2011 Fall Annual Meeting of the American Geophysical Union.
- November 14-15, 2011: Dr. Ye, Heng Dai, and Dejun Feng attended the Florida Climate Institute (FCI) Annual Event that was hold in Gainsville, FL.
- November 7, 2011: Dr. Ye gave an invited presentation to the Leon County Water Resources Committee on nitrate transport modeling.
- November 4, 2011: Ben McLaughlin defended his master thesis entitled "Reduced Order Modeling of Reactive Transport in Column Using Proper Orthogonal Decomposition".
- November 3, 2011: Heng Dai defended his master thesis entitled "Barrier Island Responses to Storms and Sea-Level Rise: Numerical Modeling and Uncertainty Analysis".
- October 17, 2011: Dr. Ye was appointed as an Associate Editor of Water Resources Research.
- September 7, 2011: Dr. Dejun Feng joined our group as a visiting scholar working on a DoD-funded project. Dejun's Profile
- July 6, 2011: Media coverage on our project of nitrate transport modeling available at FSU News.
- June 15, 2011: Raoul Fernandes defended his master thesis entitled "Statistical Methods for Estimating the Denitrification Rate".
- June 5-8, 2011: Dan, Liying, and I attended the MODFLOW and More Conference and gave three oral presentations.
- May 23, 2011: Fernando returned to work on the FDEP project of nitrate load estimation during the summer.
- May 11, 2011: Sha Liu joined our group as a student summer intern.
- January 11, 2011: Dr. Xiaoqing Shi joined our group as a post-doc working on a DOE-funded project. Xiaoqing's Profile
- January 5, 2011: Dr. Ye was prmoted to Associate Professor.
- December 20-24, 2010: Dr. Fan Zhang visited FSU to work on the ORAU/ORNL High Performance Computing Grant Project.
- December 16, 2010: Dan Lu gave an oral presentation entitled "A Controlled Experiment for Investigating Uncertainty Measures in Groundwater Flow Modeling" at the AGU annual meeting. Presentation Slides
- December 16, 2010: Geoffery Miller gave an oral presentation entitled "Assessment of Parametric Uncertainty using Markov Chain Monte Carlo Methods for Surface Complexation Models in Groundwater Reactive Transport Modeling" at the AGU annual meeting. Presentation Slides
- December 9, 2010, Our group (Fernando, Liying, and Ming) had a field trip to the Julington Creek and Eggleston Height neighborhoods in Jacksonville, FL for the nitrate transport project ( Jacksonville Field Trip) and gave a presentation to the City of Jacksonville ( Presentation Slides)
- November 25, 2010, Thanksgiving Party at Ming's home with several students in town and Alan's family. Party Picture with Ming Absent
- November 18, 2010: Geoffery Miller defended his master thesis. He will work for the FSU's Program in Interdisciplinary Computing (PIC) as an Assistant Lecture. Download Geo's Thesis
- November 12, 2010, Heng Dai and Dan Smith (undergraduate) presented their research on modeling of barrier island evolution and uncertainty analysis on the annual Student Symposium of the Thalassic Society (EOAS graduate student organization). Presentation Slides
- November 5, 2010: Our group (Rios, Fernandes, Liying, and Ye) gave a presentation at
at the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) on nitrate transport modeling. Presentation Slides
- October 22, 2010: Fernando Rios defended his master thesis.
He will join the doctoral program in the geography department of the University of Buffalo.Download Fernado's Thesis
- September 29, 2010: Dr. Ming Ye presented at the 2010 FESC Summit the research on environmental impact of biofuel renewable energy. Presentation Slides
- June 15, 2010: Dr. Ming Ye presented at the 2010 Goldschmidt Conference the research on uncertainty assessment of groundwater reactive transport modeling. Presentation Slides
- April 28, 2010: Fernando Rios presented at the 2010 ESRI Southwest Regional User Group Conference his research on develoloping an ArcGIS extension for modeling nitrate fate and transport from septic tanks to surface water body. Presentation Slides
- April 5, 2010: Dr. Liying Wang joined our group as a post-doc working on a NSF-funded project for three years. Liying's Profile
- January 15, 2010: Dr. Ye gave a talk at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering of the University of California, Berkeley.
- January 7, 2010: We hosted the 2010 Darcy Lecture at FSU given by Dr. Scheibe. Seminar Flyer
- October 30, 2009: Our group (Rios, Fernandes, and Ye) gave a presentation at
at the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) on nitrate transport modeling. Presentation Slides
- October 19, 2009: Hailin Deng defended his doctoral dissertation. He will work as a post-doc researcher with Drs. Phil Stauffer and Zhenxue Dai at the Los Alamost National Laboratory starting in December. Hailin's Defense Pictures
- October 19, 2009: Dr. Dai from the Los Alamos National Laboratory visited our group
and gave a seminar. Seminar Flyer
- October 13, 2009: Dr. Ye gave an invited talk
at the ISCMEM worksop held at th eU.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Meeting Flyer